Published on March 31st, 2013 | by Grant Barnard16
What Is The Difference Between Paint And Solid Color Stain?
Should you be using paint or solid color stain is the “question of the day”. There are differences between the two even if you cant see the difference. We mainly use Acri-Shield Paint and use Acri-Shield Solid Color Stain. Grants Painting offers deck and fence staining in Indianapolis and Greenwood.
Sheen Availability of Paint or Stain: Paint is available in many sheen’s. Solid color stain is only available in its own sheen. For most products this will usually be close to a matte finish.
Applications of Paint or Stain: Stain is ONLY meant for wood that has not been previously painted. Paint can be used on wood plus many other surfaces like plastic shutters and stucco.
Why Use Stain Instead of Paint: There are a few instances that you will always use stain instead of paint:
- Stain is more water permeable. Water is absorbed by untreated wood that is on the underneath of you deck. Stain will then let that moisture escape from the wood through the coating and not cause rotting by trapped moisture.
- Stain is made to take foot traffic. Foot traffic results in more abrasion than regular paint is designed to take.
Will Paint or Stain Last longer
Paint will last longer than stain. However, stain will protect wood better by letting the moisture escape if moisture is allowed into the wood.
Does Paint or Stain Block Tannin Oil Better
Tannin oil bleeds through coatings displaying yellow or brown stains. These tannin oils also harm the coating as they soak through it. Solid color stain is designed to block the tannin oil better on its own. A paint system will require a primer to stop tannin bleed.
Benefits of Solid Color Stain:
- Lets moisture escape from wood
- Formulated for abrasion from foot traffic
- Self adhering to wood
- Blocks tannin oil bleed without a primer
Benefits of Paint:
- Comes in many levels of gloss (sheen)
- Works on metal, stucco and many other surfaces
- Comes in high grade acrylic formulas for superior longevity
- Brighter and the darkest colors are possible