Published on January 8th, 2014 | by Grant Barnard37
Average Cost Of Interior Painting
Interior painting costs varies between different painters. While some painters are more expensive due to a higher overhead, others are just simply higher priced just because. Some interior painters have lower costs due to efficiency and/or quality planning and good ‘ol “penny pinching”. While the lowest cost interior room painting isn’t always the best value, the highest price isn’t always the best either. For those in need of Indianapolis area interior painters, contact Grants Painting. Grants Painting is the best Indianapolis painter.
Per Room and Square Foot Interior Paint Pricing
Square Foot Cost Of Interior Room Painting
Some interior painters will either charge by the sq. ft. of the area to be painted. Even if the painting contractor delivers a flat rate, they may have still used square footage as a factor to arriving at that number. Also you must assume that larger jobs will usually have a less per square foot price for interior painting. Likewise smaller jobs may run into a minimum charge.
Ceiling And Wall Painting With Same Color “Blow and Go”
This would be for a home to be sprayed with no floor coverings or other things to cover. This only happens in total remodel with nobody living in the home.
- 1.50 per sq. ft. (Floor Space) – Lowest interior painting costs that you should accept.
- 2.25 per sq. ft. – Acceptable mid range.
- 3.50 per sq. ft. – High price for most areas.
Ceiling Painting Without Wall Painting
This is a difficult task to not get any paint on the walls or trim while painting just a ceiling. The price can range as there is much less brush work.
- .75 per sq. ft. – Low acceptable even with cheaper product.
- 1.50 per sq. ft. – Fair pricing for quality workmanship and materials.
- 2.50 per sq. ft. – Higher acceptable painting for difficult ceilings and in higher priced areas of the country.
Walls Only Average Interior Painting Cost
Painting walls only with no previous damage and no serious color changes and assuming a “normal” room with no more than 6 corners. This assumes a mid grade paint that is included at contractors choice. Higher grade paints will add costs as the painting contractor will usually get a paint that they get often and get a good price on themselves.
- 3.00 per sq. ft.(Floor Space) – Lowest interior painting costs that you should accept.
- 4.00 per sq. ft. – Acceptable mid range
- 5.00 per sq. ft. – High price for most areas
Per Room Interior Painting Costs (Walls Only)
Large Living Room – $700- $1600
Small Living Room – $320 – $680 Kitchen – $280 – $650 Small Bedroom – $200 – $380 Large Bedroom – $490 – $1000 Bathroom – $175 – $425
Per Room Painting Interior Costs (Walls, Ceilings and Trim)Large Living Room – $1400- $2000
Small Living Room – $640 – $1100
Kitchen – $375 – $1350
Small Bedroom – $390 – $720
Large Bedroom – $640 – $1800
Bathroom – $265 – $535
Possible Extra Charges
- Drywall Repair – Drywall Repair is generally billed out around $25 – $50 an hour. Homes with a fair amount of reasonable damage could take an additional 4-16 hours for best results.
- Wall Paper Removal – Wall paper removal can vary extremely depending on type and condition. Many times wall paper removal can double the cost of your interior painting
- Furniture Moving – Furniture moving will greatly increase the price of painting. Expect to pay at least $60 per room for furniture moving.
- Accent Walls – Accent walls can cost more or less depending on area, color and whether or not the color is used in another part of the house. Expect to pay at least $80 for the smallest accent wall.
Hey Readers! In response to our many questions from growing painters, I wrote an article that will help much better than a magic number. Its about how to do a quote for painting and construction trades.